I was having a conversation with a dear friend of mine today, and I have to say it has been on my mind all afternoon.
As we all know, it is not easy being a mom. And, speaking for myself, there are many days when I don't feel that I am a very good one.
But, the question comes to mind, why did I want to be a mom? I think this is an important question.
Obviously, we have made that choice...or maybe not, but regardless we are moms by God's will. Either way, we need God's help, guidance and blessings along the way. So, the question remains...why? What is it that we thought we wanted or were looking for?
When we are having a particularly challenging day in our role, this may be difficult to answer. And, everyone will have their own answer(s) and reasons.
As for myself, I have always loved children. And, probably like everyone else, had no idea what a big job it was. My family was always very important. Don't get me wrong we had our own disfunctions, dramas and issues. But, family is family. And, we always pulled together when needed. I have been very blessed by that. I still have a lot of "kid" in me, so I get to share that with my own children. I want to make a difference and pass on things that I have learned and have been blessed with. I don't want my life to be focussed on "me". I want my life to have a purpose outside of my own selfish ambitions...which I struggled with for many years. I wanted to have something that was made by God, but part Lisa and part Mark.
It's funny, because I really had to think of my answer, initially, but now that I am writing them down, I could go on and on.
There are so many things that WE learn as parents, i.e. my parents were smarter than I thought they were. I feel like I see God a little more clearly...i.e. as I am constantly telling my children, "Listen and Obey!" I can only imagine that those are words that God has said more times than I can ever imagine. When I think about how much I love my children, I think how much more God must love His children. When our children are being defiant and it makes us absolutely crazy, I think "How must God feel?" I think about how much it means to me for my children to want to talk to me and be with me, and that brings me to wonder how God must really miss it when we go about our day not even acknowledging Him.
It is truly a blessing to be a parent and to see things on a whole new level.
Even in the midst of all of our questioning and loss of control, loss of self and sometimes loss of tempers, the question of why can be answered so simply when we hear our children tell us that they love us. That is the ultimate...no more questions.
Happy Mother's Day to my moms and my friends. I am so blessed to love you, know you and share motherhood with you. You are ALL great moms!
1 comment:
God provides many blessings in our lives. He blesses us with loving families,spouses and abundance of other blessings. But I truly believe the most gracious blessing he provides is our children. I thank God for my three very special blessings.
Post a Comment